Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Sight Word Practice & a lil DIY Project!


Hey everyone! I was just trying to get some of the things put back on my walls and ran across my "Secret Code Word" wheel that I had on my door. This is a super cute & quick way for your kiddos to practice sight words during transition times. I don't know about your class, but my students seem to have a hard time waiting {calmly} in the hallway while everyone is taking a turn using the restroom or getting a drink. Well, here's how I solved that little moment of craziness... I made a Secret Code Word wheel & attached it to my door. It has interchangable sight word wheels that slip right inside. As the students finish up, they come over to the door and must read the "Secret Code Word" before they are allowed to go into the classroom. This is a quick way to fill those transition times and give your students some sight word practice. They just LOVE it! I just posted this kit on Teachers Pay Teachers & Teachers Notebook if you'd like to take a look at it. Click the picture above to check it out!

Anyone need some cute pointers? Well, this is soooo easy! Not sure if you can see it real good... for the sticks, I used a dowel rod  & wrapped it with zebra print duct tape {the 2 on the right} and the other 2 are just small pieces of bamboo that I found at our local lumber yard. It was cheap {only about $1.50 for 4 feet!} Then I hot glued those cutie-patootie little jungle animals on top {Hobby Lobby for only 67cents!}, added a lil ribbon and...TA DA!!! AdORabLe new pointers!!!! {Oh ya, the basket is a Target Dollar Spot special with a little zebra print ribbon weaved around it!}

Well, back to the classroom again. I should be just about ready to take some classroom pics - hopefully I'll get them posted tomorrow!!!

3 comments:

  1. Love your pointers!
    I'm going to try your sight word idea.
    Thanks.

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me again :) I just bought your sight word wheel and I think it's so cool, I'm going to blog about it on my site!
    Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your sight word idea for transitions.
    Fun 2B in First

    ReplyDelete